Hospital costs - yikes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital costs - yikes!

So a friend just got back from a trip to Florida with his family. His 23 year old son started feeling a sharp pain in his right side, went to emerg and they told him he needed an emergency appendectomy. They took him to the ER for laparoscopic surgery, had an overnight stay and was released the following day. They presented him the bill at checkout and it was $37,000. Fortunately they bought out of country insurance from AAA so it was covered but holy crap. FWIW, I know someone from Australia who came here and had the same thing happened about 5 years ago and she didn't have out of country insurance. She was presented a bill from the Toronto hospital and was told she had to pay before she left - $1,200 CAD total (about $900 USD at the time), consisting of $700 for the emergency surgery and $500 for the ward room she needed for a few hours to recover.

I realize the U.S. has a different pricing system for emergency care but there's no reason the same procedure needs to cost 35 times as much as Canada.
    Writer extraordinaire.

Maybe the care is 35 times better.. kidding.. The $37,000 will be reduced by up to 1/2 under contracted rate agreements with the insurance company.. but it's still expensive in my mind.

Pappy

~ Do more for others than you do for yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by KoolPappy View Post
      Maybe the care is 35 times better.. kidding.. The $37,000 will be reduced by up to 1/2 under contracted rate agreements with the insurance company.. but it's still expensive in my mind.
      Insurance isn't the panacea of everything either. My wife's uncle was on an Atlantic Ocean cruise a few years back and had an episode on the boat around Ecuador. He had insurance through the cruise line and also out of country travel insurance he bought through the bank. They docked in Ecuador and had a helicopter take him to the hospital in Quito where they diagnosed him with a heart condition and put in a pacemaker. When he recovered enough they had a nurse guided helicopter fly him to Florida and from there another helicopter took him back to Toronto. The cruise line insurance paid for all the helicopter costs and treatment while on the boat but per the policy they didn't pay for any treatment on land, meaning the bank insurance was responsible for the $25,000 cost of treatment in Ecuador. The country wouldn't let him leave without payment and they said they don't deal with insurance companies and he had to deal with them directly afterwards, so he called us and my father-in-law to help him out by putting the max on our credit cards so he could leave. He had money so it was never an issue of getting paid back but he didn't have enough room on the card he had with him at the time for all the expenses.

Anyways, he gets back to Toronto and the bank tells him they won't cover the costs. He asks why not. They said that in the time since he bought his insurance and filled out the medical questionnaire (he was over 60), his doctor had raised his dosage of Lipitor from 10mg to 20mg and since he didn't inform the insurance of this change he loses his coverage. He was furious and said it was a minor dosage change made over a month earlier and had nothing to do with the issue he had. They said sorry. He asked them how much more they would have charged him had he informed them of the increase in dosage for the cholesterol medication, which of course never even occurred to him and he didn't know was necessary, and they said that it wouldn't have changed the cost but it didn't matter as they had an out to not cover the bill and they were taking it (didn't say it in those words exactly). He went to the ombudsman and various other options but eventually just gave up and ate the costs.

As well, my wife's cousin who lives in The Woodlands was in the newspapers for a fight he was having with his insurance company over cancer treatment he needed. Despite paying into the premium plan his whole life they refused to cover the surgery that his doctors and the hospital said was his best option to survive. I believe he also gave up on it and just went with the cheaper option that his insurance would pay for since having the recommended surgery would almost bankrupt him.

Insurer shuffle leaves cancer patient in limbo (houstonchronicle.com)
      Writer extraordinaire.

Comment

yeah it is ridiculous.

Comment

Jonathan Turkey is a rare non biased journo. Definitely not MAGA. He is an honest Democrat. Rare indeed. Example of media fake and FBI corrupt.

https://twitter.com/JonathanTurley/s...266349057?s=19
          Fuck you, Tiger

Comment

Wrong thread but does it matter?
            Fuck you, Tiger

Comment

Originally posted by Futures Cwissy View Post
              Wrong thread but does it matter?
              As long as your posts aren't as long as Juice's are...

Pappy

~ Do more for others than you do for yourself.

Comment

Pay 100 k out of pocket or father in law doesn't get Heart operation and they give him 6 months max.

Supported my wife from the start. Unlike her Mom this was a very appreciative man even before we paid. He did all kinds of neat stuff with our home we have out there. He was a craftsman. That's why we have a whole deck just for star gazing. A modest home but many xtra's added by him with lots of land.

They have you. We had the money and in our hearts how do we not pay.
                “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”– Marcus Aurelius

Comment

I'd pay for my Mother-in-Law.
                  most people dont like them, she's awesome.
                  She likes sports, always supportive, wakes up too early, but is quiet while she cleans up.

Comment

Oh we took care of Mom just as well. She was just the type who didn't plan a retirement. We had to pay off 30 k in credit cards once. My wife only asked for Cards didn't close accounts. She got all new cards and did it again over the next year. My wife was furious. YOU ARE CLAIMING BANKRUPCY! I'm tired of this shit.

From that point on everything came to us like insurance papers etc. Set everything else up auto pay and they still had cash from S.S. All my father in law did was work at course and golf.

I feel bad because Clevfan took the brunt of my "I DON'T UNDERSTAND MY WIFE AND MOTHER!!!!!!.

"I will never understand a mother /daughter dynamic. They are complicated. Just support your wife."

No wonder why I turned to her years ago because I miss them both
                    “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”– Marcus Aurelius

Comment

My mother-in-law had me right up her will, years ago. Fair distribution.
                      She likes me more than my wife, maybe..

Comment

Lol that’s good. No will when you have no assets and kids take care of needs. My mom, wife and friends spent the last weeks of her life with her. She was so concerned about her dog.One woman dog. On her deathbed she asked my mom to take her. Of course she took her hand and said. Yes. My parents were never getting a new dog as they are older. Carly is already 4 and well trained so perfect

Funny part is she loves tagging along with Dad all day more than Mom. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Big Baller View Post
                          I'd pay for my Mother-in-Law.
                          most people dont like them, she's awesome.
                          She likes sports, always supportive, wakes up too early, but is quiet while she cleans up.
                          I get along with my mother-in-law as well. She has always been supportive of me and my wife, unlike my own mother who did everything in her power to try and stop us from getting married - the old "you need to marry a good Jewish girl" thing. Eventually I just said to my mother "If you don't want to be a part of our lives I could care less. When we have children I'll send you a note to let you know when it's their birthdays and if you feel compelled to send them a gift then so be it." She didn't like that but did back off and eventually got to like my wife and ended up being a part of my son's life.

The Flintstones | Season 3 | Episode 20 | Clumsy - YouTube

Writer extraordinaire.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope to be a good mother in law (wedding will be in June)…she’s great to my son. It is taking some adjusting to letting go and sharing my son….today is my birthday and it’s thanksgiving and here I am all alone in Florida….hard not to feel sorry for myself and be nostalgic about times when he was younger and it was just him and me. Oh well at least it’s sunny and will be 77 degrees around noon, so I’ll go sit on the beach this afternoon and be thankful for all I have.

Comment

Originally posted by clevfan View Post
                              Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope to be a good mother in law (wedding will be in June)…she’s great to my son. It is taking some adjusting to letting go and sharing my son….today is my birthday and it’s thanksgiving and here I am all alone in Florida….hard not to feel sorry for myself and be nostalgic about times when he was younger and it was just him and me. Oh well at least it’s sunny and will be 77 degrees around noon, so I’ll go sit on the beach this afternoon and be thankful for all I have.
                              Calling for snow here tomorrow.
                              Writer extraordinaire.

Comment

Working...
                              X