This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hartley View Post
    Buffalo lost to Holy Cross on a Hail Mary.

If that's not the most Catholic thing I ever heard.
    That's funny!

Thanks for the laugh.
    "If life throws you curve balls, sit on it, and put it in the 2nd deck"..... yeah, well, that's nice, but I could never hit a damn curve ball.

Comment

• Gophers whooped Colorado 30-0, in boulder last year. Now they get them at home. The Buffs are struggling at QB, and have had a hard time scoring. They just gave up 450 yards rushing to Air Force, in a 41-10 loss, and it won't get any better at Minny. I don't see Colorado scoring more than 10. Gophers are laying 27.5, which is sure to grow. IF colorado manages 10 points, you only need 38 from the goophies. They look solid. Very good running game. Mo Ibrahim, who I believe coming into last year, was one of the top 5 backs in the country, but tore his achilles in the 3rd quarter of the first game against Ohio St, looks to have healed 100%. He's had a couple soft opponents, but has had no trouble finding a buck-30 against both, and shouldn't have any trouble hitting that number this weekend. Gophers re-hired former OC Kirk Ciarricca, and he and Tanner Morgan seemed to have hit it off again. The gophers haven't needed to throw the ball much, but they look good when they do. The offensive line is bullying everyone. I know they've only played New Mexico St, and Western Illinois Co-rec badmitten, but they look sharp. They outscored them both 100-10. Keep in mind, Colorado's first two games elevation was at 5318 ft, and then 6788 ft, and now they'll be at 830 ft in mpls. They are going to feel awfully heavy in the 2nd half. It's going to be 82 degrees, and humid. I think Gophers probably win something like 45-10, and worth a unit or two -27.5.
      "If life throws you curve balls, sit on it, and put it in the 2nd deck"..... yeah, well, that's nice, but I could never hit a damn curve ball.

Comment

• I like Kansas Houston over 56.5. The line has been coming down, so you may want to wait. You may also want to wait until Sat and check the weather report, may be some thunderstorms. A rainy day might kill the over.

Comment

• Analyzer-

I know how much you respect Referring, would actually love to see on TV, I know you are that grade..

Last Sunday, My kids Soccer team traveled over hour each way, Tourist traffic..

-We played, and won, on Saturday, same travel, versus a paid Academy team.
          (Analyazer likes details, I'm a volunteer coach, hate paid Academies, but, love to beat them)

Anal-
          20 minutes in, on his home field, his own ref crew..
          and.up ,2-0, shouldv've been 1-1..

Coach goes ballistic, my Espanol is pretty good, but, he told the ref " I'll kick yior ass in the parking lot"

Anal- He gets ejected, but, only coach..
          My assistant is a ref, he, says " Forfeit"..

Sure, we could've bounced, but I gathered my kids, told them if it turns into a Hack fest, we will leave.

But, we drove over hour, they scheduled us Mid Day?
          Fuck those guys.

Those kids have to pay $3000/[player, outfit out of San Diego..

we filed (my assistant) a formal protest, but,, This Duche coach pulled that? in front of his familes?, at his home field, and the refs his club assigned??!

Anal-
          I told them; I dont care about standings/points , NorCal Rankings,, but, I want a formal apology,

Comment

• IF I had a coach tell me that, he'd be done coaching that year at minimum. You can't threaten a ref like that, or another coach, or a player. I would be very temped to call the police on him. There is no place for that at any level. The league should suspend him.

I had an assistant coach tonight going on and on about this hold, and that block in the back. He was pushing the envelope. There were 7 plays in the first half when his team only had 10 players on the field, 4 on offense, and 3 on defense. I didn't say anything at that point, but was thinking maybe he should focus on his team's performance, and leave the reffing to me. In the 2nd half, his team was down 28-0. The opponent scores on wing back counter, there was no one around. That same assistant was complaining that we weren't calling anything. We couldn't possibly have called a hold or a block in the back on that play, as there wasn't a defensive player on that side of the field. The wingback just walked in.

After the kickoff, the assistant continued to give me an ear full. We were a 3 man crew for an 8th grade game. We can't watch 22 kids. There is going to be stuff we miss, or don't have the right angle to see. The sideline official on his side, is in his 2nd year, and is about 18 or 19, and has maybe reffed 16 games ever. I finally had enough, and let the guy have it a little bit, and asked the head coach to control his sideline, or he AND his assistant would be going home. I didn't hear much more the rest of the 3rd quarter. Between quarters I went over to the assistant, introduced myself, shook his hand, and told him "I understand your frustration. Im sorry we haven't seen some of the penalties that you're seeing. However, yelling 'HE's HOLDING!!!' on every play, really doesn't help us or you. What WOULD be helpful, is if you see the same player committing the same infraction over and over, get me a number, and I'll watch him for a few plays. But let me explain something to you, there is a referee shortage, not only in Minnesota, but nation wide. You have a young official on your sideline that is trying to learn the game. I've been doing this for 22 years, and can easily handle what you're dishing out. However, your yelling and screaming may very well discourage that young man from working another game, and this league, needs more officials. So please do the future of the league a favor, and tone it down a bit". He was quiet the rest of the game.

Incidentally, that particular league lost several communities between last year and this year. They had gotten tired of some of the coaches, and moreso with some of the fans, and they felt their players were no longer safe to play in that league. So they pulled out, and joined another conference.

I don't think there's any question that the bad behavior of coaches, and parents is escalating. I stopped officiating mens softball for that very reason. It just wasn't worth the continual harassment.

Some of these coaches, and parents have no idea how much time I invest studying the rule book, and rule changes. I was online for 2 hours this afternoon, prepping for the first game of the season. I intentionally asked the director to give me that young official, so I could properly mentor him. It's unfortunate that that assistant coach had to be such an ass all game.

Coaches at the youth level tend to fall into about 3 different categories.

1) These coaches are fundamentally sound, and very good communicators. They spend the game looking for weaknesses in their opponent that they can exploit, and deficiencies in their own team that they can improve. They are watching player performance, and looking for ways to improve their techniques. These coaches rarely yell about calls, but occasionally ask for clarification. They know the rules well, but let the officials do their job. Occasionally they want to know who was holding, not so they can berate the official, but so they can coach up that player, so that he doesn't do it again. They will have calm discussions when they think something wasn't enforced properly, and ask you to their sideline, instead of yelling across the field. These type of coaches I rarely hear yelling at their players. They teach the kids the proper way to play the game, without ever raising their voice. Their teams generally play very good football, and are often above .500. The kids know their assignments, and execute well. I'm often impressed with how well they perform.

2) These coaches think their job is to look for penalties that aren't being called. They are paying more attention to who is holding, or blocking in the back, and far less attention to game strategy. They think their job is to influence the official, and jump on them every play. More often that not, their teams under perform and often get beat soundly. They are often the ones in the huddle, yelling at their players. They think they have to yell at a kid to motivate them. They are so busy yelling at officials, that they miss obvious clock management, and game strategy decisions. I feel bad for the players, because they are often waiting for their play calls, and are out of position, because their coach isn't focused on the right things. We saw that tonight, when the coach was so busy bitching about penalties, that he didn't notice they only had 10 players on the field (7 different times).

3) the clueless dad. It's all he can do to get the right number of players on the field, and get the play called. I feel bad for the players, because they often cant move the ball or stop anyone. They don't win a single game, and look bad doing it.

I love category 1 coaches. I wish there were more of them.

Comment

• Great breakdown, you are correct, if me and my other coach pulled that shit in our town, the head of referees (Big, tough, Ex-Pro Woman), would've had us arrested for sure.

Tomorrow (Saturday Night) we travel back over the hill to battle another team, This time in a State Cup Game ( highest level (Premier), in poorer part of that City, it's gonna be bloodbath, I know it..

My assistant coach, is the goalie on my Men's team, known him all of our lives. He used to coach another team on other side of our town. First time we played each other, he couldn't believe that I just sat in my chair, away from the kid's bench, drank some water, didn't say a word most of the game. I also broke down all the parents when our team was like 5 or 6 years old; told them you can cheer for both teams, but you can not call out any kid's names, They need to concentrate, whatever you say to them, is probably not what he's been training to do during the game. I tell the parents to just kickback and watch the game, these kids know how to play, they don't need any input from us, during the game. My parents barely say anything now, and for years,,, because I HAVE walked around the field,and yelled at them during a game.

-The coaches that annoy me the most, are what I call "Joysticking".
              Bobby! pass to Johnny!,, Johnny!,, run over here, NOW!, etc..
              and any coach that yells at top of their lungs ; "GO!!!" -wow, great advice, kid probably wasn't gonna move unless you yelled Go..
              Those teams are one-dimensional, zero creativity, kids are scared to do anything out of the norm, because Coach will yell at them.
              I can break down how to capitalize on teams like that, in about 10 minutes, at which time, I'll sub out my Captain, tell him what I saw, then sub him back in.

-I also, NEVER bring them in, and give them a 10 minute "De-Brief" after a game. I say "Good Job, see you at Practice on Wednesday" After about 15 minutes of warm ups at following practice, I bring them in, we sit down, and talk about a bunch of stuff. They want to talk about the game, I always ask about their grades, schoolwork, maintaining a 2.0 gpa, so they will be eligible for HighSchool, and graduate.
              -Proven fact; whatever you say to a kid after a game , win or lose, they will barely remember any of it, they are already thinking about going to the beach, girlfriends, lunch, video games, and looking at their phones.

Comment

• I loved reading that baller. Another proven fact, that you seem to follow. Kids listen better at practice, when they are out of breath. I like that you warm them up for 15 min, and then have the talk. We used to do that alot in pre-season football practice. wear them out, talk for 5 minutes. wear them out talk for 5 minutes. If they are out of breath, they're too exhausted to be talking, while i'm talking.

When you reference parents and joysticking (which also came from my players parents), I can completely relate to what you're saying. I had this really fast running back, Ryan, who was/is my son's best friend. His dad was convinced that too many running backs want to turn every play into a home run, when all they really need to do, is turn up field and get that easy 3 or 4 yards. In general I don't disagree with that. Lawrence Maroney comes to mind, when he used to play for the gophers. He was a great running back, but there were times, when the gophers had a 3rd and 2 or 3, and the yards were there off-tackle, but he'd try to take it outside, trying to hit the 70 yard home run, and often get caught for a loss. Then we'd have to punt, when we should have been moving the sticks.

Regardless, Ryan's Dad, was always on the sideline telling him to "cut up field". He'd yell at him, any time he took it outside. He wanted him to cut up field EVERY time. Well, we're in the semi-final one year. The other team has a bunch of really fast linebackers and corners, that tackle well, but are maybe guilty of over-pursuing and leaving their gaps/responsiblities. I saw it on film from scounting them, and our previous game with them. We had this little wide receiver screen we'd throw. You have a wide out and slot to the right. When we take the snap, the slot guy slides out behind the wide receiver, we throw him a quick hit, the right guard and right tackle pull, and run around right end to take out a line backer or safety. The running back steps up in the hole left by the pulling guard, or tackle, to put a hit on the incoming defensive tackle, to keep him from blocking the quick hit. So we run it a couple times, with the slot guy catching it slightly to the outside shoulder of the wide receiver, and then cutting back inside behind the pulling guard and tackle. As he catches it slightly outside the wideout, the opposing corner is generally going to take an outside line, which is easily blocked by the wideout, and anyone pursuing from the inside gets picked up the the pulling guard and tackle. It's usually good for 7-15 yards, if not housing it. But after he run it 2 or 3 times, defensive players recognize it and start to cheat. Especially that corner. Instead of taking an outside line, you'll see him immediately start to drive inside, and take it away. Even the defensive tackle on that side, will stop taking on the running back, and will sag back trying to make a play. So about the time I see them start cheating, I have another play for that. When my slot guy catches the ball, and starts on his inside move, which brings about 3 or 4 defensive players immediately crashing on him, I have my running back (RYAN), swing outside. The slot after catching the quick hit, who is now cutting inside, pitches to the RB, who is swinging to the outside. The defense is all biting on the slot, and no one is outside to stop the running back from going 80 yards with the pitch. EXCEPT Ryan's fcking DAD, who tells him to cut inside, right where there are 4 or 5 defenders waiting for him. It was perfectly set up, we were in a tight ball game, and that would have been a touchdown. Instead he gets tackled for a small gain, and we have to punt. We lost by 6. And obviously it bothered me, because I can still visualize the play, and his Fcking Dad telling him to cut it up. There was NO ONE outside.

Ryans dad got me on another similar play, every time I ran it. It was a reverse option. Sometimes I would line up Ryan at wide receiver. I had a play where he's split out wide left, I run a sweep to the left. Ryan just takes a couple steps off the line of scrimmage and acts like he's going to block the corner like he normally would on a sweep to that side. Mean while the Right Tight end, comes inside, and acts like he's looking for a linebacker to block (can't make contact). He just mingles behind their defensive end for a few seconds, while the sweep develops. At the point where he sees all linebackers and safeties are pursuing the sweep, he releases back side, and heads down field. Ryan, who waits what seems like an eternity, and waits for the sweep to come almost all the way to him, then takes a hand off and heads back around the other way. One pulling left guard, takes out their left defensive end, who has contain on our right side. If their left corner (our right) is still home and makes a play on Ryan, he is supposed to throw downfield to what should be a wide open right tight end. If the corner followed the tight end, then Ryan should be open to run the ball. EVERY time I ran that play, my tight end was WIDE OPEN, with no one within 25 yards of him. Every single time, Ryan ran the football, because his DAD told him too. "Cut it up". Not only would Ryan run, but he wouldn't even go outside, he'd run back into traffic. I had to take him off that play, and use a slower player, with a worse arm, but at least one who didn't have a DAD joysticking him.

Comment

• Gophers -27.5
                  KU +8.5
                  KU/Houston O58

Comment

• STRAIGHT BET
                    [143] PENN STATE -2½-105​

Comment

• Here’s juices that he posted in the weekly NFL thread

Lets have some fun with these.

Game of the Month Steelers plus 2.5 over Patriots.

Falcons plus 10 over Rams.

Seahawks plus 9.5 over 49ers.

Texans plus 10 over Broncos.

Bears plus 10 over Packers.

Put your hands together for...

3 Team M.L. Parlay.

Falcons + 400

Seahawks + 340

Bears + 400

10 wins 1100.​

Comment

• Let's go Juice.
                        STRAIGHT BET Sep 18 NFL [276] STEELERS (PIT) +2½-110

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzer View Post
                          Gophers -27.5 WIN
                          KU +8.5 WIN
                          KU/Houston O58 WIN
                          one of the easiet 3-0 days I've had. No doubters.

Comment

• Originally posted by analyzer View Post

one of the easiet 3-0 days I've had. No doubters.
                            Nicely done Analyzer.

-Going on a beer run. have a great Youth coaching story when I get back..

Comment

• It's funny how certain NFL teams consistently struggle at certain venues, or situations. For instance, the Colts have now lost 8 straight at Jacksonville. The Vikings consistently under perform in prime time. It's been even worse under Cousins command. The Vikings also seem to lose every time they play Philly. Certainly ever time AT Philly. They have the same problem at Chicago, and at San Fran.

Comment

• I'm getting it back, just in time for World Cup, our USA squad was horrible:
                                Hungary's goal? awesome,, and in Germany
                                STRAIGHT BET
                                [236775] USA PK-103
                                LOSE
                                LOSE
                                09/22/2022 11:03 PM
                                INTERNET / -1 Ticket #: 181406042
                                Sep 23 11:30 AM
                                SOC STRAIGHT BET
                                [236792] BRAZIL -2-118
                                0 WIN
                                WIN