Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last year the 3-9 Huskers lost all 9 games by single digits. They played OU, MIch, Ohio St, Mich St, and Wisconsin dead even, and lost all of them. Largely because of horrible special teams play, and partly because Adrian Martinez was not a good passer. Nebraska lost to Mich St, because of a punt return touchdown, gave up an opening kick return touchdown to Wisky, gave up a blocked punt td to Iowa, missed a fg, and had an extra point blocked and housed vs OU, and missed two field goals against ohio st, or they might have won all of those games.

Coach Frost's butt is on the Hot seat. He answered by replacing half his coaching staff, and then hit the transfer portal hard to grab a new QB (Casey Thompson) new kicker, new punter, and 4 new defensive linemen. You can say "well, they were in the transfer portal for a reason", but when you consider where they came from, particularly those 4-star d linemen (alabama, LSU, etc), they would start for most teams in the country, just not Bama and LSU.

I love that Frost Frost went out and got Mark Wipple from Pitt to run his offense. Scott wants to run up tempo spread passing attack like he did at UCF. Martinez had a slow release, and was not the right QB for the job. Mark Wipple did wonders with Kenny Picket, and that Pitt offense. I think he'll improve the Huskers greatly. Casey Thompson is a bit of a question mark, but from what I've seen of him, he's a better passer than Adrian, and I don't think it's possible to be worse with the game on the line. So there should be improvement there.

Frost also went and got the LSU receivers coach, former husker Mickey Joseph, to come to Lincoln, that's the same coach that recruited guys like Justin Jefferson, and Jamar Chase, and made them household names.

Nebraska added Offensive Line Coach Donovan Raiola, who came over from the bears, in an effort to improve line play, which hampered their offense last year. Nebraska gets some immediate help on the O line, from Okie state graduate transfer 6-6, RT, Hunter Anthony.

I don't think there's any question that special teams cost Nebraska at least 5 games last year, if not all 9. Nebraska ranked around 100th in net punting. They switched back n forth between 2 different punters, and often kicked punts 25-28 yards. They had one that was 7, one that was 15. They rarely pinned the other team deep. Huskers had a good defense last year, if you don't count their anemic pass rush, and could have really benefited from a better punting game. So Scott's recruiters went out and got Montana Transfer, Brian Buschini, who was FCS punter of the year. He averaged 46 yards a punt, which is about 11 yards better than what we had. He had 28 punts over 50 yards, and pinned the opponent inside the 20, 30 of 69 punts. That's a huge Improvement.

Nebraska also went out and got a new long snapper, Brady Weas from GTown. Huskers had two injuries at that position last year, and it led to some missed kicks.

Huskers also improved at place kicker, as they grabbed FCS Furman kicker Timmy Bleekrode who was 21-25 last year, with a long of 51 yards. He also punts, with a 41 yard average, so he'll add some depth there.

If Huskers can just kick well, punt well, and cover well, it will be a HUGE improvement over last year, and flip many of those losses into wins.

Adrian couldn't lead his team to scores in the last 3 minutes of ball games. He just didn't have that IT factor, that killer instinct some QB's have. (You might keep that in mind when betting K-state in tough matchups this year, they fall short in tight games). I think the Husker coaching staff definitely pulled back the reigns last year, particularly inside the 10. They just never wanted to put the ball in the air. And considering the Huskers had huge tight ends, they should have been much better converting in the redzone. It's especially critical when you're struggling to kick even extra points (4 misses), and missed several short field goals. Regardless, I think we'll see alot different attack, especially in the red zone, from Mark Whipple and Casey Thompson.

On defense, the Huskers had very good linebackers and secondary last year, but almost nothing for a pass rush. I think huskers were right around 100th in pass rush last year, high 90's anyway. So they went out and got 4 studs on the defense line, and found a couple good transfer corners to shore up a vacancy by Cam Taylor Britt (which was a big loss). Huskers lost linebacker Jo Jo Domain (NFL), who won't be easy to replace, but they have some depth there, and improved defensive line play should help coverage and linebacker play. As the huskers had no pass rush last year, they played alot of soft coverage, and bend-but-dont-break type defense. It led to alot of long drives, that ended in field goals. Both Mich and Ohio State were 4-4 on field goals in their games with the Huskers. The Huskers stuck around in those games, but with a little better pash rush, could have been dominating. I'm looking forward to the improvement.

NW doesn't have a great QB, so I would hope we'll be playing tighter man/bump coverage, and get more pressure on the QB. That depends largely on whether NW can run the ball or not. They have a 1000 yard rusher coming back, and a few veterans on that line. If the Huskers top the run, they should win comfortably. If not, it might be a dog fight all day.

I'm eagerly waiting for game start. I'm hoping the Huskers finally solve their special teams issues, get after the QB, and bring back the swagger. I think we're going to see a very different Husker team this year. I'm hoping they can contend for the big 10 west. Alot is riding on how they get out of the gate today. If they come out and play well, it will take the pressure off Scott and the team and we should have a good season. IF they lose out of the gate, the calls for Scotts head are going to start early, the pressure will mount, and it might be along season. It's really hard to call game 1 a MUST WIN, but if ever there was one for the Huskers, this might be it.

Nebraska has been mistake prone in recent years. I think alot of that is driven off the pressure from the fan base. The weight of Husker Nation is on their shoulders, and they feel that. It's so critical that they get out to a fast start, and put some of that pressure away. If we get to the 4th quarter, and it's still a close game, that will play into NW's hands, as many of these players will start to wonder "how we're going to lose this one". A here we go again mentality is not good. The worst possible thing for this Husker program, would be another heart breaking, last minute defeat. I don't want to watch another one of those press conferences. There have been far too many. It's time for a change. We've certainly made enough of them. Go Big Red !!!!
    "If life throws you curve balls, sit on it, and put it in the 2nd deck"..... yeah, well, that's nice, but I could never hit a damn curve ball.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT3nNOFffbA
      "If life throws you curve balls, sit on it, and put it in the 2nd deck"..... yeah, well, that's nice, but I could never hit a damn curve ball.

Comment

• At 14-3 early in the 2nd quarter, it's hard not to like what I'm seeing out of Casey Thompson, and Whipple's offense. CT looks very sharp. I love see TE Vokalek on the field. He was the best prospect coming out of Iowa, and one of the top TE prospects in the country. He missed all of last year with a knee injury, and has been a little gimpy in the spring.

That 47 yard punt from their own 5, was also a big improvement from last year. Last year the huskers would have shanked that out of bounds at the 32.

Comment

• OMG. That’s why I started off this year with a simple open money line parlay on a play I thought was safe. Back door on a money line when they were going to apparently hunt the ball and we’re just trying to get Nebraska offsides and at the last second the kids snuck it and got it. I knew that I was gonna lose the first half. I did have fun watching it and it looks like Nebraska’s gonna be really good on our offfence can’t blame them except for the one fumble sigh. I don’t know if it was Nebraska’s defense or whether that Northwestern Q.B just played really well. Annie can answer that better than me.

have fun today guys!
          “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”– Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Nebraska can't get home with a 4 man rush, and Chinander hates to blitz.

Comment

• A couple bad breaks there for you Steve. That Husker fumble would have stood if he was called down. I think he was down, and I think it was gutless they didn't over turn it. Bad call in my opinion. So instead of potentially 21-10, and looking good, NW goes in at half with a lead.

I swear, on the first pass of NW"s first touchdown drive, when huskers led 14-3, the ball hit the ground. The receiver was well covered, tried to reach back one handed to make the catch, and it looked to me like the ball went to the ground from almost waist level, and bounced immediately back to the receiver. It was a big 25 yard gain, and no review.

Comment

• Laugh out loud. At the end of the first quarter Annie obviously in his notes he’s familiar with Nebraska’s background and at the very end of the first quarter he says Nebraska With a mistake free first quarter.l

and sure enough that one play was so important and I don’t see how they didn’t call him down when his knee was down and you couldn’t see the ball. Oh well I really do hope Nebraska comes back to win this game because I heard before that they’re staying the whole week there. So I’m not one of those guys that wants to see him lose just because I lost my first half pet because I know Annie is a fan to and I only know about Nebraska because of him. So who they bring it home cause I wouldn’t want to be in a other country or whole another week after losing. No home field advantage another reason why I did this bet.
                “You have power over your mind – not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”– Marcus Aurelius

Comment

• Well, that was depressing.

Congrats to NW for getting a hard fought win. They played to the script. Get a 4th quarter lead, and let Nebraska beat themselves. After TE Vokalek got hurt, and his 6-8 wing span left the game, Nebraska couldn't move the ball. Their replacement tight ends dropped 4 passes including the last one that got intercepted. Both NW interceptions went thru the hands of Nebraska receivers.

I thought Casey Thompson looked great in the first half, but the last quarter and half, he was little off. Whipple got a little cute with a couple play calls. Frost got a little cute with an onside kick, although, the way his porous defense was playing, I can't really blame him for trying.

Bottom line, is NW's offensive line, dominated nebraska's front 7. I don't think Hull is going to run all over the big 10, but the Huskers made him look good today. I saw alot of holds at the point of attack, but the officials were letting that go all game. Nebraska just choked on offense. NW is not a juggernaut on defense, Nebraska just stopped executing.

There is going to be a ton of pressure on these kids. I wouldn't be surprised to see them drop one to Ga So when they are looking ahead to OU.

This is depressing. Huskers really needed to get out to a good start this year. Now I think Frost will be gone in October when his buyout drops to 7.5 million, and Mickey Joseph will become the next Husker Head Coach.
                  Last edited by analyzer; 08-29-2022, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• I feel bad for you, anny. That was embarrassing.

Comment

• Husker Nation is calling for Frost's head on a stake. It won't happen until Oct 2nd when there is a discount on the buyout. That onside kick was the last straw. You've got kinda of a plodgy unexplosive NW team down 11, with 8 minutes left in the 3rd. You just kick off deep and make them drive the field twice. Make em earn it. Casey started feeling the pressure of the moment, and choked. The receivers started feeling the pressure and choked. The defense couldn't get off the field at the end, even when they knew NW was just going to run the ball. Everyone is feeling the pressure. It's suffocating.

Yes, it's embarassing to see how far this program has fallen. They are nothing more than a Wyoming at this point, with just more fans.

They are not good enough to overcome mistakes. They had a 14-10 lead, and driving the ball, and fumble at the NW 12. It was a bad call, but led to the Huskers losing at half time. While they did overcome that deficit, once TE Vokalek got hurt, it was game over. Huskers had no offense at that point. Meanwhile, a pretty average NW squad just wanted it more, and drove the ball RIGHT DOWN THE HUSKERS THROAT!!!

I think if NW had lost this game, there would have been alot of NW fans mad at Pat for being so conservative late, but he knew he just had to grind clock, and let the pressure Melt Nebraska like a chocolate bar in the sun.

Comment

• This about sums it up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efI8wcRAgsk

Comment

• You know they showed their record for the past 10 years or whatever and it showed how good they were and what they’ve been through the past for five years can’t remember. But I said this is what Anny’s been talking about. They just lose games they should win. I watch the guy almost to the end and I just couldn’t watch him sigh again. That’s Why I like college football. I felt so bad for the guy when he said I cried sigh. And over all the same things Anny mentioned. Me only thing I couldn’t get was why they said they were gonna rush the passer Yet there was nobody around in the whole first half he started up eight for eight.

this guy obviously lives and dies husker football and wants frosty arrested when he steps off the plane for ffraud and don’t pay him anymore.lol
                          Last edited by stevo; 08-27-2022, 10:01 PM.

Comment

• I think this loss is a little bigger than I thought. Nebraska is trending on YouTube all day. Most of the stories were two minute clips with Scott Frost his name on the hot seat etc. when was the 17 minute one I said this must be a podcast so I clicked it. These Young men obviously podcast every Nebraska football game and watch and comment and also do other shows during the week I’m guessing. When the show came on the guy just had his head in his hands and he said yes I am the idiot that thought they would win 10 games this year. My cohost is not as much an idiot because he just said they would win the league. But he just repeated everything and said it’s gonna be the same thing and these guys seem so depressed. I listen to him for a while but he basically repeated everything Anny said. Feel bad for these fans

Comment

• IF there is a positive, it was special teams. Going into the game, I had said if we punt well, kick well, and cover well, we would at least win the game. We did all 3 of those and still lost. The bright side is the punter had a couple punts of 48 yards, and another one that pinned NW on the 6. That was a HUGE improvement over last year. As well, the kicker kicked 4 extra points, that were right down the middle, so that too was nice The huskers only had one penalty. I'm not sure if that was because they cleaned up mistakes, or the refs just were eating flags. Maybe some of both, but it was nice to see the penalties kept to a minimum. However, sometimes a lack of penalties, means you're not playing with enough emotion, particularly on defense. You can't get a defensive pass interference, if you're not close enough to grab anyone. You can't get a targeting, if you're not hitting anyone.

That first half, Casey Thompson was night and day better passing than AM has been the last 3 years. I loved the quick, accurate releases, and quick decision making. The choke factor though was nearly identical, and maybe started earlier than it normally does with Martinez. There is no question Casey was feeling the pressure down the stretch, and he didn't respond. They weren't playing Ohio St, or Oklahoma, they were playing freaking Northwestern. He should've looked his teammates in the eye, and said "I got this". But he didnt and that's concerning.

By far the biggest concern though, is that defense. The got gashed by a fairly mediocre running game, and picked apart by a below average Qb. That doesn't bode well for the rest of the season. Nebraska was like 100th in pass rush last year, and not only did they not improve in that department, they looked significantly worse against the run. The linebackers looked really slow in lateral support. This team is going to have to outscore their opponents in shootouts. Unfortunately, with the up temp Nebraska plays, their defense will be on the field alot, and the opponent will be able to run on them at will in the 4th quarter. It just doesn't look good right now for the Huskers. They're lucky they're not playing NDSU this week, they'd get beat (Again).

Comment

• IMHO..

Frost was a great hire with proven success.. while at Nebraska he is the best coach in CFB with a losing record.. Nebraska would have fired anybody not named Frost after last season.. Nebraska will fire Frost after this season.

Pappy

~ Do more for others than you do for yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X